▼

Monday, July 26, 2010

Great Moments in the History of Furrydom

because "the History of Furriness" doesn't sound right.

The Lion Man of Hohlenstein-Stadel, also called the Lion Woman of same because the lion-cloth covers the naughty bits but I draw your attention to the utter booblessness, is one of the oldest statues in the history of Man at roughly 30,000 years old, and the earliest evidence so far of anthropomorphism. I once read a book(really!) in which the author suggested this carving, and other works like it, were outward manifestations of the changes in brain structure that marked the emergence of imagination and abstraction. Interesting, but I think the possibility of cave-furries has been too long ignored.

26 comments:

  1. because "the History of Furriness" doesn't sound right

    Furriography?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I draw your attention to the utter booblessness

    Not necessary; it is the first thing we look for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the days when lions walked and humans crawled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. outward manifestations of the changes in brain structure that marked the emergence of imagination and abstraction

    Now ordering "The Mind in the Cave" from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoiler alert; the chains are not actually attached to the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was this, but I was reading a lot of similar stuff at the time and can't be completely sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OooOOOooo, Mind in the Cave looks great, Riddled Book club?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This too maybe http://www.amazon.com/Origins-History-Consciousness-Mythos-Books/dp/0691017611

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I haven't read that. On the list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, waitaminute, slow down here. I don't think you academic types realize how hard we out here in Lackademia have to struggle to keep up with your books and your learnin'.

    So, are you saying that the mankind evolved from earlier primates is wrong, and homo sapiens actually evolved from big cats? 'Cause, y'know, I've never heard that. But then, it's true I haven't been paying that much attention either. I've been busy working on this theory about international relations that involves Vladamir Putin and Square Dancing, and that's been really demanding of my time.

    Or are you taking the position that when humans first discovered that certain flora had psychoactive properties, the first thing they must have done is imagine themselves large feline predators, to the point where they made images of how that might have looked. Because if THATS where you're going, I'm going to have to disappoint you - Jethro Tull beat you to it by the better part of forty years...

    And here, Captcha is just taunting: sukerse

    ReplyDelete
  11. ..."utter booblessness" is a phrase of which I could grow quite fond

    ReplyDelete
  12. What, no love for lion-cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Much love for 'lion-cloth' but it triggered "Loinclothing" and distracted me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't connect it - in a weird (whatever the word for onomatopoeia involving pictures rather than sounds) type of way - with certain acquaintances, but lion-cloth is nice

    [wv koping - but just]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interestingly, I see the data associated with that Hunters and Collectors song download indicates that it's ?? MBs, which is perfectly reasonable when you know it's a track length of ??:?? (mm:ss) and it's sampled at a bitrate of ??Kbps. It's a simple matter to just multiply and yep, you get the same answer as they did...

    spingo, sez Captcha, perhaps forgetting what game we're actually playing here

    ReplyDelete
  16. "What item of clothing should I put on next?"

    "Dickie."
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shrooms, bongos, firelit cave after a good surf will do this to you, no question, for I have seen...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see you've added those silly (By which, of course, I mean stupid & dumb-assed, but I was trying to be nice there, if only for a second.) "share" things.

    So I clicked one. Let me know if I have any "friends."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smut Clyde said...

    Cave furry.


    That costume is pretty well articulated.

    So I clicked one. Let me know if I have any "friends."

    I'd bake you a cake for your birthday, that's got to count for something, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cave furry.

    I thought that was Smut Clyde in his role as
    Ombudsmoose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Captcha was right about the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is NOT going on the list. Also: frightening. Also also: elvan?

    ReplyDelete
  23. "The History of Furry Dom" does not sound right either.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The original cougar.

    ReplyDelete