Saturday, June 25, 2011

And then rob you of your sleep

Via the e-mails, Conference preparations:
The 2011 Biennial Symposium in Kongsberg is fast approaching! [Redacted] and the other organizers have done a great job of putting together an exciting scientific and social program. Here are a few things to note before we all converge on Kongsberg.
[...]
3. [Redacted] sends the following about local situations in Norway:

"You may want to remind people about the long days in Norway. It will be roughly two hours of semi darkness at night, so people who have trouble with sleeping when it is light should bring eye-masks (there may not be black-out curtains in all hotel rooms).
I know how this ends. If there is a crime-fiction author in attendance, I am out right out of there before the hallucinations begin in earnest.
---------------------
Updated: people in comments speculate about "This Redacted fellow". I suspect that he or she may be related to the painter Rainfall.

Lots of artists have copied painted homages to Rainfall, so he must have been popular in his time, but the weird thing is that none of his original paintings seem to have survived. He has fallen into obscurity to the point that the gallery curators had no idea whom I was talking about.

7 comments:

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

If yer gonna be sleep-deprived anyway, may I suggest you take a shift with my baby? He was up from 1 to 5 last night? morning?

Ashamed to say I have not seen the original "Insomnia." I thought the American remake was pretty damn good. However I am a sucker for an entertaining psychological thriller.

ckc (not kc) said...

This Redacted fellow seems to know an awful lot about what's going on..

Substance McGravitas said...

That's a code name for "Erect Dad".

mikey said...

Y'know, I've been to dozens of trade shows and conferences in Las Vegas over the years. And it strikes me as odd that good old Redacted never warned me that by the third day I was going to be not only desperately sleep deprived, but unable to unequivocally describe my condition as specifically "drunk" or "hung over".

Indeed, Redacted could have warned me of the diahrea, shakes and cold sweating brought on by the unfortunate environmental conditions of amphetamines, Seagrams Seven and fried foods...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Kongsberg, izzat where that giant ape lived? Don't let them sacrifice you, old chum.

Hamish Mack said...

Don't drink the banana daiquiri whut ever you do!!!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

converging on Kongsberg
~