I guess the authorities are not too worried about its precise location because they have built a barrier further up the river, so they know it can't wander very far.
People seem to lose a lot of lakes in the general area. We have a very pretty one a short drive from here near Mt. Hood (lovely reflections of the mountain) and there are a couple of Lost Lakes in Washington, too. (Yakima and Kittitas counties.)
I didn't see any fishermen hanging out along Fisherman's Trail (the first quarter of the Lower Seymour loop-walk). There's a volunteer-run labour-intensive salmon hatchery just below the dam. I suspect that the Barrier went up before anyone gave a dam(n) about salmon ladders, and people only subsequently wondered why all the fish had disappeared now that they could no longer reach their spawning grounds.
My first encounter with a salmon ladder was on (or rather into) Lake Michigan in 1961. I was young and impressionable, and was intrigued with the concept of fish climbing ladders. I assumed that it had something to do with fly fishing - at least until I was corrected by a less than dour highland gillie a couple of years later.
Looks nice! Any fish?
ReplyDelete~
People seem to lose a lot of lakes in the general area. We have a very pretty one a short drive from here near Mt. Hood (lovely reflections of the mountain) and there are a couple of Lost Lakes in Washington, too. (Yakima and Kittitas counties.)
ReplyDeleteAny fish?
ReplyDeleteI didn't see any fishermen hanging out along Fisherman's Trail (the first quarter of the Lower Seymour loop-walk).
There's a volunteer-run labour-intensive salmon hatchery just below the dam. I suspect that the Barrier went up before anyone gave a dam(n) about salmon ladders, and people only subsequently wondered why all the fish had disappeared now that they could no longer reach their spawning grounds.
My first encounter with a salmon ladder was on (or rather into) Lake Michigan in 1961. I was young and impressionable, and was intrigued with the concept of fish climbing ladders. I assumed that it had something to do with fly fishing - at least until I was corrected by a less than dour highland gillie a couple of years later.
ReplyDelete