▼

Monday, June 21, 2010

Sorry about all that democracy crap

Chinese Vice President Xi Jin-Ping was in New Zild last week and a Green Party MP Russell Norman showed a Tibetan flag to him, here. This led to an over enthusiastic elbowing out of the way by the Chinese security contingent. Fair enough, honour satisfied on both sides, you might say. But no! the NZ Prime Minister has apologised to the delegation as seen here but of course, it is not about trade or nuthin' like that.
But then as is the norm with these blokes, yes it is.
"We're sorry about that man hurting your feelings about the occupation and brutal repression and all that. Golly that must have been upsetting with that scarf near you, ever so fucking sorry. We wouldn't mind having a bit of brutal repression around NZ IF YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN, and you do.And that voting thing at the UN, we still cool?"
-----------------------------------------------------
SMUTDATE
I was half-way through thinking about ranting on the same topic.

One point AK has not spelled out is that the "over enthusiastic elbowing out of the way" (i.e. assault) of the Member of Parliament was on the actual steps of Parliament, supposedly a place where MPs have precedence and make the rules (but the domain of Chinese security guards for the purposes of the visit).

This was all captured on film, with no shortage of witnesses from amassed journalists, but police declined to pursue an assault charge since the assailants all had busy schedules and were not making themselves available to be interviewed.

The government has promised to prevent any recurrence of such unfortunate events, by reviewing security arrangements so that Members of Parliament are no longer allowed on Parliament when it is in use as a venue for important foreigners.

Various serious people have tut-tutted about the possible negative reaction in China to insubordinate behaviour in Wellington. A spokesman from the New Zealand China Friendship Society talked on the radio about being all in favour of free speech and protest, and the importance of keeping to acceptable protest, with the decision about which protests are unacceptable evidently falling to the protestee.

NZ does not lack for people who welcome our new overlords and would like to remind them of their helpfulness in rounding up others to toil in the National Parks rare-earth mines.

35 comments:

  1. Can the NZ government issue a pre-emptive policy to BP?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, make that a pre-emptive apology.

    Brane not werking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never question, just do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Foreign Minister reassures us: "of course we have freedom of speech in New Zealand, but that doesn't mean we use that freedom of speech to cause offence to people".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Kiwi way is to say, because we never want to offend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. erm that expression would be..."nah jokez" (to say something truthful to another, then retract by saying..."nah just joking".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next thing you know NZ will do something horribly anti-free speech like "free speech zones". An idea that would be an anathema to us freedom loving Americans.

    Aw crap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flag of Taiwan works pretty well too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...just be glad the security isn't costing you $1 billion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you are all sorry about those defence cuts, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I say let 'em fend for themselves (big wusses)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a new arm to Riddled who are now offering security services for Overlord meetings at a very favourable day rate. Protesters will be dealt with in the Chinese Freedom fashion.

    torme, emotional

    ReplyDelete
  13. Freedom has been outsourced, but you still can't afford it.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, sure. I mean, c'mon. NOBODY should have to listen to opinions they disagree with. That would be...why, that would be FASCIST!

    Here's what we ought to do. We ought to divide the world up into, say, 25 million little bitty countries. Then, poll everybody in the whole world on a wide variety of topics. Then, we'll divide everybody up into like minded groups. If you ask enough different questions, we should arrive at groups of a couple hundred people each.

    Then, each group gets it's own country, 1 AK47 with three magazines, and they'll NEVER have to listen to anyone they don't agree with ever again.

    It's like a PoMo United Nations...

    ReplyDelete
  15. BP hire Freedom Thugs to stop you looking at their little spill. There's a whole company of freedom thugs up for sale because Iraq is now free.
    http://www.propeller.com/story/2010/06/21/jeremy-scahill-minerals-wikileaks-and-blackwater-for-sale/
    In nz...just don't come our way to bomb boats in any of our nuke free harbours, alright Mr State Sanctioned Teriorismismist, or we might have to not make you embarrassed with our offensive sending back of your Agents Of Death to sun themselves in Tahiti. Gottit?

    haolic, yep can't get enough of that good halo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Appeasement really does need a comeback...Mr Key waves to crowd...I have in my hand a piece of paper...

    rehantio, rehant again fool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always want to wrap Merc up in a blanket and hug him until the seizures stop.

    He's like a dood that chewed up a whole blotter and told the truth. Much to learn, but it's orthogonal at best...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jesus, how'd you know about the blotter incident...and yes I was dropped into a vat of orthogonal as a child...http://picasaweb.google.com/mercbink/LoveIsASymbol02#5333238663382003810

    tosavais, to know ways.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He's like a dood that chewed up a whole blotter and told the truth.
    I initially read that as "butter" and was confused since it never affected me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anchor NZ used to make truth butter for better rendering. Water was proven to be cheaper and more effective.

    goetive, fiesty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Truth Butter? You can't handle truth butter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marlon thought he could tango in Paris but Natashia knew butter.

    zatiess, I have you now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. confused since it never affected me like that

    You've obviously never chewed up a whole butter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of course I have. DO you take me for a lightweight?
    Perhaps the batter and the deep-frying affected its psychoactive powers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Batterd, Deep fried, Butter? huh. We only do that do cheese here in Wisconsin. Although now , upon reflection, I am kind of surprised that we don't fry butter too.

    Is there still a chain of fast food restaurants called 'Wisconsin Burger' in NZ? I at one when I was there a decade ago.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Of course I have. DO you take me for a lightweight?

    The barter system is complicated. I may take you for a can of store-bought frosting if you come with a feed bag.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Burger Wisconsin is still here though I think there are not as many around as there used to be. The burgers are pretty good from what I remember but they do lack a deep fired cheese component.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The cheese that is bestest is that which is fired deepest, then dredged up from as near to R'lyeh as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Obey.

    Shepard Fairey comments will not be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I may have caused offense and I apologise unequivocally as Mr Key has shown me how.

    hersedi, not he saidy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. a chain of fast food restaurants called 'Wisconsin Burger' in NZ?

    If they offered an Ed Gein special I would possibly eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. One Boneless, Skinless GeinBurger to go please. With David Rothenberg fries and a Louise Woodward Shake...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having eaten at the Alferd Packer Memorial Grill at Boulder University, I have standards to maintain.

    ReplyDelete