▼

Friday, July 16, 2010

Midwinter up at Ohakune

-- and the brussels-sprout harvest draws to a close. This is the season when the locals select and crown a Brussels Sprouts Queen, and lay down huge casks of potent, faintly-psychoactive wine made from fermenting the brassica in question. Seven days later they will sacrifice the Queen amid scenes of unbridled orgiastic revelry, fuelled by the last of last years' vintage, to ensure the fertility of the fields come next spring.
Among the activities for the day was the children's costume parade, which featured future growers dressed like veggies. There were numerous carrots, a cauliflower and two little Brussels sprouts.
The townspeople are an ancient inbred race. Visitors are warned not to take issue with the old ways to which they cling with such solemnity, at risk of finding themselves at the centre of a 'Sprouting' ceremony.

19 comments:

  1. And here I thought it might the carrot guru might actually be SC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought I could type/speak before 2 cups of coffee.

    WRONG.

    The previous comment should have said:

    And here I thought the carrot guru might actually be SC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I understand... they. They were pulled from their slumber by the commands of the carrot guru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, fuck it... I can't comment today, no matter how much damn coffee.

    I should have gone straight to alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But what about the cilantro?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go the 'Kune
    The guy in the picture is The Carrot Man who goes around on Carrot night leaving gifts for kids. A carrot if they've been good, a Playstation Slimline if they've been bad. It's known as planting evidence in other towns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. carrot is NZ slang for dildo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You say slang, I say alternative folkways of agricultural peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thought the carrot guru might actually be SC.

    No resemblance at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Were those lounging pajamas??

    Also... that photo contains a significant resemblance to this (top photo... not bottom).

    ReplyDelete
  11. *shiver*

    I used to think that staining at the bottom of the Ohakune carrot statue was rust but now I wonder if it isn't blood!!??!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The get-down, tie-down challenge was won by Jeremy Mott

    This does not seem vegetable-related in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If he'd worn a creel, he wouldn't have had to dangle his prey from his hat.

    Alternately, he's angling for lagomorphs. Bunnies, check those carrots for hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pffft, like that could possibly be for reals. Wanganui Chronicle? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alternately, he's angling for lagomorphs.

    This is a common error, but the fact is that bunnies are not aquatic. He is more likely to catch a coypu. If he is dragged under and consumed by a capybara then SERVES HIM RIGHT.

    ReplyDelete