Thursday, November 5, 2009

Here goes

Well this is it. The first post will, of course, be a poem and about Light. Who would've thought?

Light.

The first light I thought about
was Australian light.
Hard light, diamond light.
At the end of a day it has a pressure on your shoulder.
Chops out your eyes.
But the clarity before then is unequaled.
Then I heard about New Zealand light
soft light blurring the edges
gentle light
full of blues and greens.
My kind of light.
Lately I've read a book
where a good scientist says
he saw the Green Flash at sunset where the sky goes green
for a second.
He went looking
and found that perfect second.
Someone told me later
that there are two types of light.
The normal light
everyday stuff,
that's all around us.
shows us what we want to see. What we expect to see.
The other light is raw, unfiltered stuff,
shows you the flaws the dangers,
another reality.
I saw the second light last week,
out driving.
Nothing made sense, who were these people in their cars
where were they going and why were they so angry?
I could not see them as people, did not understand.
Their whole system based on ceaseless movement,
was alien.
Then I blinked or realised what had happened, it was gone
and I understood again, accepted again
was back in the world.
I would like to see that light again, but I don't think that we choose it.
Like a storm it moved on leaving odd wreckage behind.
And the old landscape made more vital.

6 comments:

Hamish Mack said...

If you can't be first of the first

tigris said...

That's really powerful.

Jennifer said...

That was lovely.

More poems!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Another Kiwi haz a blog!
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

no need for zombies on the intarwebs anymore, the Aussies have landed...

fish said...

Shiny!