▼

Monday, January 18, 2010

Winchester, England

I imagine martial roses as precursors to the averns that appear in The Shadow of the Torturer -- life-sapping plants that can be used in single combat or, I suppose, in a clash of infantry. I would have expected to find them in a botanical garden rather than a library, but that's the English for you, wanting everything catalogued and systematic.

7 comments:

  1. Of course, this ain't gonna make a lick of sense unless you're a fan of "The Music Man":

    Martial Rose, off to war again, Rose
    To make the garden truly free
    Martial Rose, off to war again, Rose
    Fight the bird and fight the bee
    Trumm, trumm tum
    I can hear the drums of war
    Trumm, trumm tum
    'Til we have to fight no more
    Martial Rose, off to war again, Rose
    With armored Aphids and sharp thorns
    Martial Rose, now everyone knows
    Time to take the Elk by the horns
    So march forth, oh Roses, not fancy or fine
    Martial Rose, now is our time
    Martial Rose, oh Martial Rose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Marshall underwent an operation and now Marshall's stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fair to say that to a cacogen, an avern is but what a marigold or a marguerite is to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't William Gibson write Fragments of a Martial Rose?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of a marigold pizza and I suspect you of making it up.

    ReplyDelete