...the risk of poisoning from sea slugs was low but the risk of harm if you were poisoned by one was high.If true, Mrs Miggins will have to find some other ingredient to hold up the crusts of her celebrated Pies Marinara, or else rebrand them as New Zealand's answer to sashimi fugu, with an eye to the Japanese export market.
"The amount that was fatal [to a person] was as low as half a slug - one teaspoon".
As any fule kno, animal species that can sequester the tetrodotoxin secreted by Vibrio alginolyticus bacteria -- to use in self-defense or as a venom for predation -- include (inter alia):
- blue-ringed octopus;
- arrow worms (phylum Chaetognatha);
- ribbon worms (phylum Nemertea); and
* Fugu features in episodes of X-files, Bones, and House (twice), so we know all about it and don't need no steekin' Google.
** Almost the only one; the Whackyweedia does mention "at least one report of a fatal [tetrodotoxin poisoning] in Oregon when an individual swallowed a Rough-skinned Newt Taricha granulosa." It would be premature and irresponsible to link this to the number of brewpubs in Oregon.
UPDATE: Bonus Fugu Warning Poster.
Apparently Vietnamese is the language of choice for billboards in Korea.